I know this is a photography blog, but I’m also going to use it for my own selfish reasons. I’m sure most of you will understand
Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 I turned 31. Not 20, not 21, not 30….31. How lame is the age of thirty-one? I really had not been looking forward to celebrating this birthday at all! My mom came all the way to FL from her native land of Minnesota to spend the week prior with me, the husband, and our two little munchkins & also to be able to be here for my birthday. This was all well and good because it had been a while since we had seen her. She visited in September, but we haven’t had a chance to fly our family of four up to MN (have you searched airfare recently???? I have! No bueno!), so it was nice to have her down for a while.
Back to my birthday. I did some minor reflecting that day to attempt to figure out why I wasn’t really “feelin’ it.” This is what I came up with:
- The year I turned 20 I was excited because I was no longer a teenager and also had something pretty spectacular to look forward to…
- Turning 21…hell yeah! If you don’t get excited to turn 21 well then, I dunno…in that case, you must live in a country where nobody gives a crap how old you are when you start drinking. OR you’re a good little church girl/ boy (although, let’s be honest, sometimes those types are the WORST…yeah, don’t lie!)
- 22-24…personally, these years were spent really defining who I was. Ha…and I was the aforementioned “good little church girl.” I even decided to move to FL to attend a faith-based school in South Beach. I was naive enough at the time, thanks to growing up in a small town in MN, to not know what really went down in SoBe. In 2005, at 24 years old, I moved to FL. At the beginning of 2006, I started dating the man I would marry that same year. We would also leave SoBe to move to the opposite coast of FL to be near his family…not because Miami life was too crazy, but because our faith-based school was too crazy. That’s another story for another day & probably a totally different blog.
- 25…we have established some roots in sunny Sarasota, FL and decide in November of 2006 to take a trip to Minnesota so I can see my family for the first time since leaving & my new man can meet them for the first time. We also decided that we would get married while we were there. You know, kill three birds with one stone. So on November 25th, 2006 I became a Mrs. with a totally new last name. Two months later, in January of 2007, we find out we’ll be expecting our first baby in September of 2007. Holy sh*tballs.
- 26…I become a mommy. On September 13th, 2007 I gave birth to a healthy, beautiful, heavenly little baby girl that, to this day, we call Sophie. Well, we can’t really change her name, can we? Becoming a mom has consumed me entirely. I did not know it was possible to love another human being so fervently until this little girl entered my world. She gave life new meaning and purpose.
- 27…our little girl is about nine months old and still as cute as ever. The year 2008 is upon us and is a year of many things…new career paths for both myself and my husband (this is the beginning of our career of working alongside one another), a big move, and we find out that baby #2 is on the way. Again I say, holy sh*tballs.
- 28…so now we’re in 2009 and just prior to actually turning 28 in June, my brother is married in April I’m asked to sing a song at their ceremony, I agree to do it. The day of the wedding I have a ridiculous cold/ flu bug and am about 7 1/2 months pregnant, so I apologize to them (and the original performer of the song I sang) for my horrendous performance that day. So June arrives and I turn 28. Awesome. Fast forward a couple of weeks and June 26th arrives and I give birth to my second reason for living life to its fullest every day, my sweet Addison. Another healthy, beautiful, heavenly little baby girl.
- 29….wow. My last year in my 20′s. I’m enjoying my 20′s. They’ve been full of ups and downs, but every trial, every step, every move has molded me into the person, the wife, and the mother that I’ve become. I spent my 20′s trying to figure out who I was and where I belonged. I met my husband. We welcomed two adorable daughters into our world…we became a family. I had a family. As one chapter closes, another one opens…
- 30…finally, a new decade. No more 20′s. I have my husband, my daughters, a great relationship with my in-laws & my family back in MN. We have established ourselves as career people. We have caring and fun friends (and have lost some along the way). I feel grounded and like….like what?
- 31…OK, what’s left? What now? What more am I supposed to do? What’s 31 going to bring me? What fun things happen at 31? I can already drink. We’re not moving. We are done having children. We have great jobs. Now what?
I was really not excited about turning 31 because of these mundane little things. I guess my 20′s were so busy and so full of new things and new experiences that I just felt as though I was left to be wondering what is left for 31 and beyond. I have come to the following conclusion…suck it up & stop wallowing in self-pity. The truth is, we do lead a pretty great life. We have no complaints. Sure, we have the typical issues of any married couple with children, but we are doing pretty well in every aspect of life. As for what is left for 31 and beyond…well, I guess that is up to us & since we are a couple of go-getters, I’m certain that 31 and beyond is going to bring a whole new mess of experiences.
As for my actual birthday this past Saturday…it turned out to be pretty spectacular!
Now for a few pictures in an attempt to incorporate some photography (not all professional, mind you!) & also give a bit of a “behind the scenes” look at who Urban Moda is comprised of!! Click on a picture to enlarge the gallery
And that’s all for now. I hope you all will continue to follow Urban Moda (and tell your friends to book sessions!). As we grow, we invite you all to grow with us. Stay tuned for more!
For now, some links to our website and networking sites…please LIKE and FOLLOW wherever you can: